Monday, October 12, 2009
Quinoa was of great nutritional importance in pre-Columbian Andean civilizations, being secondary only to the potato, and was followed in importance by maize. In contemporary times, this crop has become highly appreciated for its nutritional value, as its protein content is very high (12%–18%), making it a healthful choice for vegetarians and vegans. Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete protein source. It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten-free and considered easy to digest. Because of all these characteristics, quinoa is being considered a possible crop in NASA's Controlled Ecological Life Support System for long-duration manned spaceflights.
Quinoa can be prepared just like rice. I like to cook mine in a rice cooker... so if you are sick of brown rice, give it a try...I just purchased some from Costco!
Thursday, October 8, 2009
Premium prenatal multivitamin for pregnant & nursing women in a delicious chocolate!
* Recommended nutritional support for Mother and Infant in a delectable chocolate bite
* 800 mcg folic acid essential for the expecting mother and her developing baby
* 200 mg of bone-strengthening calcium
* 400 IU of vitamin D-3 to enhance calcium absorption
* 125 mg of Ginger (root) powder helps decrease the effects of “Morning Sickness.”
* 150 mg of Biotin for strengthening hair, nails, and skin during pregnancy
* Choose from two delicious flavors: Caramel and Mint Chocolate
Pregnancy is a special time in a woman’s life. Not only do you need to meet your individual nutritional needs, but you must also meet the requirements of your developing baby. Maternal nutrition before and during pregnancy affects both the mother’s well-being and the infant’s growth. As the baby develops through the early phases of life, your nutritional needs will also increase. A balanced diet focusing extra attention to nutrients like calcium, iron and folic acid is recommended. After delivery, an adequate diet is needed to support nursing and to replace depleted nutrient stores; Top Form Women’s Prenatal Chocolate is a delicious and delicately blended multivitamin that provides you and your baby with supplemental levels of essential nutrients.
* Top Form Prenatal Chocolates supply balanced nutrition with emphasis on antioxidants, vitamins and minerals to supplement a healthy diet during pregnancy.
* Provides 800 mcg of folic acid – critical during the earliest weeks of pregnancy when a baby’s organs are forming. Adequate intake of folic acid in a healthy diet before and in early preg nancy may reduce the risk of birth defects of the brain and spinal cord.
* Required for cell growth and DNA formation.*
Calcium & bone health
* Top Form Prenatal Chocolates feature 200 mg of bone-strengthening calcium and 400 IU of vitamin D-3 to enhance calcium absorption.* Additional calcium during pregnancy is vital, particularly during the third trimester when fetal bones begin to calcify.
* Necessary to support placental and fetal needs and a mother’s increased blood volume.*
* Essential for cell production and helps maintain healthy hair, nails, and skin during pregnancy.*
A complete nutritional program should be followed prior to conception through pregnancy and maintained when breastfeeding.
A complete list of the multivitamin actives is listed below per two (2) chocolate bites:
Vitamin A (Acetate) 1700 IU
Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) 60 mg
Vitamin A (Beta Carotene) 1,300 IU
Vitamin E (D-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate) 15 IU
Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) 400 IU
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine Hydrochloride) 1 mg
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1 mg
Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide) mg
Vitamin B5 (D-Calcium Pantothenate) 3 mg
Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride) 2.5 mg
Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin) 2 mcg
Folic Acid 800 mcg
Biotin 150 mcg
Calcium (TCP) 200 mg
Magnesium (Magnesium Carbonate) 25 mg
Potassium (Potassium Citrate) 50 mg
Zinc (Zinc Gluconate) 7.5 mg
Selenium (L-Selenomethionine) 25 mcg
Iron (Phosphate) 13.5 mg
Ginger (Root) Powder 125 mg
The actives follow the RDA guidelines for women’s prenatal multivitamins.
In addition to the Good Energy Chocolates and Prenatal Chocolates, Top Form is currently developing active formulations for Sugar-Free Good Energy Chocolates, Women’s multivitamin chocolates, and children’s multivitamin chocolates. Additional information on these upcoming products is available upon request.